Call For Your Free Quote: 305-443-6321

Storm Damage? Here Is What You May Need to Do

Florida has dodged any major storms and will hopefully continue to do so for the rest of the year. However, should one decide to visit South Florida, would you know the steps to take if you need to file a claim with your insurance provider?

You may wish to start by determining if flooding, wind, or rain was responsible for the damage. This is significant as flood insurance is usually covered by a separate policy in Florida and is thus not protected by a standard homeowner policy.

After seeing what caused the damage, perform the temporary repairs so your home won’t suffer any additional damage. Make sure that you don’t discard any receipts so that the insurance provider can pay you later. If you are looking to employ a contractor, be vigilant when they are asking for a large sum of money at the beginning or when the figures seem exceedingly low. Don’t make any substantial, lasting repairs until the damage has been reviewed by the insurance adjuster.

Speaking of receipts, if you decide to move make sure you hold them. Many insurance plans will cover the additional living costs if your property sustains damage as a result of a storm.

Your insurance provider will request that you submit a proof of loss form or an insurance adjuster may be sent. The more accurate details you have about your damage, the easier it will be to process your claim and get repairs done or reimbursement.

This information is provided by Miami insurance lawyer Alonso & Perez, LLP. Our areas of practice include bankruptcy, insurance litigation, foreclosure defense, immigration law, and more. Call 305-676-7545 to speak with a Miami insurance claims lawyer and receive a free consultation. We look forward to working with you.

This information is provided for educational or informational purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice. The information is not provided in the course of an attorney-client relationship and is not intended to substitute for legal advice.