Call For Your Free Quote: 305-443-6321

Are You Familiar with the F4 Visa?


There is a multitude of reasons why people decide to immigrate, reuniting with family and financial reasons are just two of many examples. However, immigration laws vary based on cases and situations, most of which are regulated by visas. Today we’re taking a closer look at the Family Fourth Preference or “F4” Visa.

An F4 Visa can be obtained by a foreign immigrant who has a sibling that is also an American citizen, an eligibility that is extended to the immigrant’s children and his or her spouse. Lawful Permanent Residents are not allowed to sponsor a family member for an F4 Visa. In order to begin the whole F4 Visa process, the sibling of the immigrant must file a petition with the Department of Homeland Security, they must be 21 years of age or older, and they must also have legal residence in the United States.

Similar to other visas, the United States only grants a certain amount of F4 Visas each year, generally on a first come, first serve basis. Depending on the volume of applications, it can take several years for the petition to be filed, so it’s important to be proactive.

This information is provided by Miami bankruptcy lawyer Alonso, Perez & Santos, LLP.  Our areas of practice include bankruptcy, insurance litigation, debt harassment, credit card defense, foreclosure defense, immigration law Miami, condominium law, business start-ups, and more.  Call 305-676-7545 to speak with one of our attorneys and receive a free consultation.  We look forward to working with you.

This information is provided for educational or informational purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice. The information is not provided in the course of an attorney-client relationship and is not intended to substitute for legal advice.